About the Recipe
Made in just one pan this delicious Turkey Rice Casserole is filled with savory sautéed mushrooms, green peas, and lots of leftover holiday turkey! It’s a super easy heartwarming dish that is full of flavor and a complete meal that you can make in just 45 minutes!
¾ cup breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons butter (melted)
For Turkey Rice Casserole
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
1 cube chicken bouillon (crushed)
1½ cups rice (long grain, uncooked)
1½ cups water
1½ cups milk
3 cups turkey meat (cooked)
1 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In an ovenproof large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic.
Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to brown and cook down. Season with salt, pepper, chicken bouillon and stir. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute, until coated.
Pour in the water, milk and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low, cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
Add the turkey and peas to the skillet and toss. Remove from heat.
In a medium bowl combine the breadcrumbs with the butter and sprinkle over the top of the rice casserole.
Transfer the casserole to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the breadcrumbs turn golden brown.
1. Rinse the rice before cooking. To remove any starch or debris it’s a good idea to rinse the rice by putting it in a strainer under cool running water. Doing this will result in fluffier cooked rice.
2. Do not disturb the lid. While the rice is cooking it’s crucial that you do not remove the lid on the skillet for any reason. Doing so can potentially result in poorly cooked rice.
3. Use unsalted butter. The chicken bouillon and breadcrumbs already have salt in them. So the extra salt in regular butter is not needed and can even ruin the dish by making it too salty.
4. Leftover turkey rice casserole will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat the leftovers, just sprinkle with a little water, cover them, and put them in the microwave for about 4 minutes on medium heat. You can also do this in the oven at 350°F (177°C) for about 12 minutes. Sprinkling with water will add some moisture as the casserole is reheating.
5. You can also store the leftovers in the freezer for up to 3 months! Then reheat them in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes while still frozen. However, the time may differ depending on how much you reheat.